vax/unix to vax/vms

Dan Ts'o dan at rna.UUCP
Thu May 30 03:51:02 AEST 1985

In article <> oft at mtgzi.UUCP (o.a.faco) writes:
>Is there any way I can create a tape on a vax11/780 running UNIX*
>that can be read into a vax11/780 running VMS?  What the UNIX tape needs is
>to have a FILES-11 label put on it, but I can't figure out how to do this.
>Anyone want to pick up this challenge?

	I have a program vmstape which can read and write VMS tapes under
UNIX. Unfortunately I believe it uses 4.xBSD magtape ioctl()'s so I don't
know how easily it can be ported to other UNIX's. But if you don't mind a
4.2BSD version of vmstape, I can send it to you.
	The program started out at Harvard.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology