form feeds in postings

Keith Muller muller at sdcc3.UUCP
Thu May 23 04:15:51 AEST 1985

In article <318 at sdcc12.UUCP>, wa371 at sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) writes:

> I have heard various readers complain about the annoyance of form feeds
> or control-L's in netnews postings.  Now recently the system that I am on
> has begun to add form feeds automatically to anything that I post to the
The control-L's are not in the article itself. Several versions of readnews
attempt to prevent the printing of the next articles header from causing
the end of the previous article from scrolling off the screen. This is done
by using the fact that when more sees a control-L in the first column it goes
into the pause mode (it acts as if a screenful has been reached). However more
makes the decision to display the control-L as a ^L in addition to pausing.
There are two ways around this. Either remove the lines from readr.c that add
the control-L right before closing the pipe to more (and have the header scroll
off the article body), or go into more.c and remove the code that displays
the control-L in addition to the pause.
	Keith Muller
	University of California