NULL problems

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Thu May 16 06:48:44 AEST 1985

> Can anybody think of any problems with making "NULL" a part of the C
> language, specifically as a pointer to anything with a value of 0? As
> has been pointed out, it is a pain to have to remember to cast it all
> the time, and I tend to think of NULL as a pointer, not an integer.

Pointer to WHAT????  That is the whole point (n.p.i.) of casting NULL
when using it as an argument to a function.  (You don't need to cast
it for nearly any other use.)  The ANSI solution to the general
argument coercion issue will work for 0 just as well.

Shouldn't this discussion be in net.lang.c (a.k.a. INFO-C)?