Quelling Filesystem Activity

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed May 1 05:18:53 AEST 1985

I was considering fiddling with the umount() system call to add a force
flag, or creating a new system call, which would take away access to a
file system, so that it could be unmounted without taking the machine
down, but never went through with it.  It could be done by taking away
both FREAD and FWRITE permission and syncing and marking in-core inodes
as trash, or something, or (and I kinda like this idea) by actually
switching fp->f_data pointers over to a /dev/null inode and closing the
real files.  It was starting to look ugly, so I never finished it.  Oh
well....
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland