Is ULTRIX-11 really slow?

Juha I. Heinanen jih at usl.UUCP
Thu May 9 10:49:22 AEST 1985

In article <821 at unmvax.UUCP> mcdermot at unmvax.UUCP writes:
>A friend recently brought up ultrix-11 on a microPDP11 with
>an 11/73 processor.  He claims that with 2 users running the
>system is really slow.

Two/three years ago we used to run the predecessor of Ultrix-11, then
called Unix V7m, on out PDP-11/34 and we found it was *much* slower than
the European Unix Users Group port of the same thing.  We never figured
out exactly why this was the case, but it must have something to with
the way the kernel overlays are done.

Anyhow, I would like to hear from somebody at the DEC Unix support group
why DEC has not based their Ultrix-11 on 2.9BSD which is even much
faster that the EUUG port.

--
                              Juha Heinanen

USL, P.O. Box 44330, Lafayette, LA 70504-433, tel. (318)231-5345
UUCP:  {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jih         ARPA:  usl!jih at ut-sally