new user id system idea.

mwm at ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA mwm at ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA
Sat May 4 13:35:42 AEST 1985

In article <114 at tekcrl.UUCP> terryl at tekcrl.UUCP () writes:
>     You sure you didn't go to Berkeley??? They did something similar
>6-8 years ago with group leaders. Basically, if the user id matched the
>group id, then that user was a group leader with su-like privileges for
>that group only. If I remember correctly(rarely) they never did distribute
>this as part of the normal UNIX* distribution.

The code that does this is still in use at the Berkeley Comp Center - not
to be confused with CSRG - and, I suspect, originated here. We also have
a hack (oops, that should be "hook", but then again, I've seen how it
was done...) that allows "administrative" users to su to any id that isn't
a staff id.

If you're interested in this stuff, drop me a line.

	<mike