Fifo files on 4.2?

John Nelson john at genrad.UUCP
Sat May 4 05:54:51 AEST 1985

>> For another, the 4.2BSD UNIX domain socket code was so buggy that one
>> endangers his system by trying to use it.
>
>Only the SOCK_DGRAM code!  Pipes are SOCK_STREAM socketpairs (well,
>sort of), and only break if you run out of mbufs (but then exit()
>panics if you run out of mbufs, so why worry about the sockets?).

I hate to disallusion anyone, but SOCK_STREAM is as buggy as SOCK_DGRAM.
Whatever you do, DONT USE OUT OF BAND DATA!   It will crash the system.

I also have a program which crashes both ULTRIX and BSD4.2 as distributed:
it calls send and recv on a connected socket pair in SOCK_STREAM.  (Actually,
it calls send and recv with a missing flags argument - nevertheless, it shouldnt
crash the kernel!)