sendmail again

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.UUCP
Sat May 4 03:31:32 AEST 1985

   I suggest running sendmail in test mode.  This will probably give
you an indication of what is happening.  Your sendmail.cf file is
probably to blame (the size of /usr/lib/sendmail matches mine whic
does not dump core).  I have had sendmail dump core (after making some
dumb -- since forgotten -- error(s) in the configuration file).
Sendmail makes lock files, dumps core, and then, from then on, nothing
gets mailed. (Handy, huh?)

   Oh yeah, test mode...

/usr/lib/sendmail -bt
some good words...

After the > prompt, type in a rule and an address (you are not sending
anything here... sendmail is going to show you how it parses the
address).  If you don't get the prompt, you should get an error which
(it is hoped) will indicate what is wrong with your sendmail.cf file.
If you do get the prompt, try some of the suspect addresses (by
looking at the date on core and looking in /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog
you should be able to tell what mail message caused it to die young).

Good luck!
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227