VAX \"pagein mfind\" crash

Bruce Nemnich bruce at think.ARPA
Tue May 14 04:45:23 AEST 1985

I know of two possibilities.  First, if you installed a certain "fix"
which appeared in the security-issues mailing list, for which an
alternate (and better) fix was given in that forum recently (if you are
a recipient of that list you should understand), it can cause a panic
"pagin mfind" under certain circumstances.  Try running dbx on anything,
"stop in main", and "run".  When it breakpoints, stop (^Z) the dbx, and
try running the program.  If you panic, that's the problem (I know from
experience).

I also saw a bug report a few months back which will cause it if there
are more than 127 copies of a text image running.  A one-byte field with
the count is getting sign-extended.  I have not fixed this nor seen it
myself.

--
--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
--bruce at think.arpa, ihnp4!think!bruce; +1 617 876 1111