Kernel mods and RTIngres

Joe Kalash kalash at ucbcad.UUCP
Mon May 13 16:42:52 AEST 1985

>  The ``Ingres lock device'' is a hack that dates back to at least PWB/Unix
> and maybe before.  There is enough interprocess communication available
> now that it shouldn't be necessary.

	In fact, it dates to V6. However, the obvious question is
which version of IPC should they use? Currently Sys V ipc is not
compatible with BSD ipc, which is not compatible with Version 7
ipc (the happily gone mpx files), etc. While I wrote the ipc version
of the driver for 4.2 (back when I was chief programmer for the
project), I was able to get away with it because the project ONLY
supports Ingres on 4.(current release). RTI has to support their
system on a multitude of systems.

			Joe Kalash
			kalash at berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash