rts/cts on 3b2 tty ports (flow control)

BostonU SysMgr root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Sun May 19 23:24:06 AEST 1985

> Comments about there ought to be an escape mechanism to allow
> transfer of entire character set (re: Ungermann/Bass tty net)

In fact, ^P (ASCII DLE) does 'escape' the special chars on the
U/B net exactly as you had hoped. On the other hand, you are correct,
no tty driver support exists to effect this automatically although
we have considered it here. We live with the XON/XOFF flow control,
it's not nearly as painful as people make it sound, you change a
few key-bindings in EMACS and make sure things are CBREAK and
everything starts to work (except things like XMODEM and UUCP which
should really be fixed in my opinion, KERMIT works fine.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University