How do you spell "Motorola 68000"?

Fred Christiansen fred at mot.UUCP
Fri May 31 03:24:52 AEST 1985

[]
whilst doing the System V micro-port for AT&T we thoughtfully considered
what to choose.  we felt that mc68k or mc68000 would alienate other 68k
manufacturers.  we also felt that m68000 as a generic seemed too specific.
hence, we choose "m68k" as the generic since this represented a balance
between common nomenclature for the chip family and the way people
verbalized things.  when it becomes necessary to identify a particular
processor, we use M68000, M68010, M68020.  again, note the avoidance of
chauvinism (no MC..).
	the very same identifier, m68k, as is used in C code is also the one
used as a file link to true or false.  that way, the same symbol can be used
in scripts, makefiles, etc.
	and to make cross-compiling transparent, you simply alter the PATH
and the environment via the shell's "." operation.  for example:

if [ "$PROCESSOR" = "M68000" ]
then
	echo "you are in 68"
else
	PATH=:/port/68/bin$PATHBASE
	STACKCHECK=ON
	PROCESSOR=M68000
	export PATH PATHBASE STACKCHECK PROCESSOR
fi

we use scripts called "do68", "do10", "do20", and "dovax".  all cross-compilers
cross-libraries, m68k being true instead of false, are all in this separate
execution environment.  in fact, the cross and native compilers, etc. are
the same beasts, but just set up to be installed in one place on the vax and
another on a 68k machine.  it's all quite clean and automagic.
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ  85282, 602-438-3472