4.2BSD on uVaxII ?? (actually delivery times)

Jim McKie jim at mcvax.UUCP
Mon May 27 03:41:15 AEST 1985

In article <5621 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
    > ... what advantage would a uVaxII have over a SUN ? A good
    > tradeoff review between the two would be a real benefit to many potential
    > purchasers.

    Well, I can guess at one tradeoff right off the bat:  if you thought that
    ordering from Sun gave you a good chance to practice patient waiting, just
    try ordering a new highly-popular machine from Dec!  I haven't heard about
    uVaxII deliveries, but I do know that the ETA on an 11/24 ordered just
    after announcement was a full year.  Our 11/44 -- ordered not long after the
    machine was announced -- took about 4 months, and that was quick:  the
    configuration we ordered did not have much memory, which sped things up.
    --
    				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

I also ordered an 11/24 in Scotland just after it was announced, took less
3 months to arrive (another month for the Unibus-map module).

I don't know what the delivery times of uVaxes are, but DEC have always been
in the correct ballpark for other Vaxes we've ordered. The first SUN's we
ordered took 18 months for all the parts to arrive, the recent ones (after
they'd set up their European organisation) took something like 6 (but they
still aren't working properly yet...).

--jim