uucp over Ungermann-Bass Net/One works fine

Jonathan Clark jhc at mtung.UUCP
Sat May 25 02:23:44 AEST 1985

<>
Before we installed hardware flow control between our VAXen
and our Net/One installation we were running uucp quite
happily over the network. Here's how:
1) Dedicate dial-in and dial-out ports. The dial-out ports
should have the getty's turned off; the dial-ins should have
special names. We also installed a check program that only
allowed uucp and administrators to log in on these ports.

2) Turn flow control off on these ports.

3) Set a buffersize of 128 (or whatever your uucp packet
size is) on the ports.

4) Away you go.

Steps 2 and 3 have to be done on the U/B port configuration,
obviously.

Some characters will inevitably get dropped but uucp will
recover these. This set-up worked fine for months until we
put up hardware flow control. The same trick won't work on a
Sytek LocalNet as you can't control the buffer size, but you
night play with screwing down the idle timer. It will work
(I presume) with an Interlan NTS-10 installation.

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC]!mtung!jhc