Kernel mods and RTIngres

Spiros Triantafyllopoulos sigma at usl.UUCP
Sat May 18 13:16:44 AEST 1985

In article <410 at wdl1.UUCP> jbn at wdl1.UUCP writes:

>      RTI needs to get their act together.  Requiring kernel changes for
>an applications program is totally out of line in today's world.  The
>``Ingres lock device'' is a hack that dates back to at least PWB/Unix
>and maybe before.  There is enough interprocess communication available
>now that it shouldn't be necessary.
>
>						JN

You bet they need! I am writing a restricted natural language interface
for it, storing the dictionary in Ingres itself. Not much of it, ~200
words so far, but it just takes FOR EVER!. The worst thing is that
a lot of the time is spent for interprocess communication... pipe'em
in, flush 'em out, etc! Anyone wants to buy a NL interface for RTI,
anyway? :-)

Oh, before I forget: has anyone done any serious development work on RTI
using EQUEL? I want to see how other people think about it.
(In terms of performance, ease of programming, cludge-ness, etc)
As usual, please respond by e-mail...

Spiros                                ut-sally!usl!sigma