4.2BSD on uVaxII ??

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Wed May 29 03:48:22 AEST 1985

In article <400 at rna.UUCP> dan at rna.UUCP ( Ts'o) writes:

>	PRECISELY, what is the difference between Ultrix-32m for the uVAX II
>and the 4.2BSD source distribution from Berkeley ?
>
>	Let me help you start the list, correct me please if I'm wrong:
>
>	- No online documentation		\
>	- No user-contributed software		 > These aren't too important
>	- No UNIBUS drivers (really?)		/
>	- Better error reporting, DEC-style
>	* Hashed inode and linked proc queues ********* ??
>	- expensive source license		\
>	- Emulation for missing instructions	 > These are very important
>	- Bootstraps for MSCP Qbus devices	/

	I have a hard believing the *'d item. BSD4.x has had hashed
inodes and linked process queues since before it was released!
I should know, I have seen pre-release listings of the kernel source
from Berkeley and these features are there. I cannot see Berkeley
removing them after putting them in!
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen