badsect and dump

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Fri May 24 08:27:39 AEST 1985

We're (still) running 4.1bsd on our VAX 11/750.  Today I found out that if
you've used "badsect" on a file system (to take some bad sectors out of action)
and then "dump" the file system, "dump" will still try to read the "badsect"ed
sectors.  Ugly--it hung the controller in our case.

I'd appreciate it if you wizards would check to ensure that this change to
"icat" in "dumptraverse.c" is right:

    .
    .
    .
    #ifdef OLDVERSION
    				(*fn1)(d[i]); else
    #else /* !OLDVERSION */
    				(*fn1)((ip->di_size == 0) ? 1 : d[i]); else
    #endif /* !OLDVERSION */
    .
    .
    .

I'd also like word on whether we'll be facing this problem in 4.2 and 4.3.
Thanks for your help.
--
UNIX is an AT&T Bell Laboratories trademark.