Problem w/750 upgrade to rev. 7

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Sat May 11 11:58:30 AEST 1985

We're just now going through the cpu upgrade to revision 7 for Vax-11/750,
and boy are we having strange problems.

We have the following on our system:

	FPA, KU750 (for G&H floating point)
	5 megs main memory
	3 eagles hung off an SI controller
	A SI 6250 BPI tape drive on one of their controllers
	1 DZ, 2 DMF's, and an Emulex CS-11 (DH Emulator)

Ok.  We make the upgrade (which replaces the L0003 (or is it 4?) module).
Boot Unix.  It stays up then dies with tbuf par fault and mach check 2.
Here's the console output:

	mach check 2 cp tbuf par fault
		va 2690 errpc 80466a00 mdr 2490 smr c
		rdtimo 0 tbgpar 0 cacherr 1 buserr 6 mcesr 9
		pc 800015aa psl 8c00004 mcsr 80016
	mcr0: soft ecc addr 27f9 syn 60
	panic: mchk

which degenerates into trap type 2's and panic: reserved operand's.

None of which made any sense to the dec man (with his *black*book*) or
the support person he called up.  Notice for instance, the tbgpar is 0,
no tbuf error?

This was the second time we tried this this week.  First time it didn't
work, called the support people, and they say there's a special version
of the board for Unix sites.  Fine, we get that board and the above happens.

One thing that has occurred to us is, not many people have the KU750
and are running it with Unix.  And there is some uncertainty whether
the KU750 is out of rev or not.  Apparently the KU750 development hasn't
fallen in step with the other development too well.

The mcr0: error is interesting.  We'd started getting it about 2 weeks
ago.  At PM time earlier this week we swapped out a memory board.  Now
we have the SAME mcr0 error as before.  (BTW, the numbers there point
at the very top of memory).

Anybody have any ideas?  The repairman is intending on spending a whole
day trying different combinations of boards to see if we can pin something
down.

Thanks in advance and all that rubbish.
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david at ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>
---	   or david%ukma.uucp at anl-mcs.arpa
---        Or even anlams!ukma!david at ucbvax.arpa
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"