Orphaned Response

lee at haddock.UUCP lee at haddock.UUCP
Fri Nov 1 09:53:00 AEST 1985

     I have some rather large data files stored on disk in compacted form.
     I use ccat and a pipe to feed the data file to a plotting program.
     This fortran program accepts the uncompacted data from standard input
     via an unformatted read statement and plots it; it exits from the
     plotting loop when an EOF condition is detected.  At this point I
     want the program to accept input from the keyboard; however, it
     continues to read from the pipe.  Do you have any advice on how I
     can redirect the input once the EOF is reached?  Thanks for your support.

If you do not have access to the source of the Fortran program, the following
would work on SystemV:

	ccat packedfile | cat - /dev/tty | fortranprogram

Cat, yes it can be used for something other than printing files! :-)