HELP with device drivers

dan reynolds reynolds at chinet.UUCP
Tue Nov 19 15:10:44 AEST 1985

Can any of you wizards help a frustrated student with a seeming impossible
project?

I am attempting to adapt a device driver for an 8 port intelligent serial
board which was written for Xenix release 2 to run under Xenix release 3.
The code I have makes a number of calls to two functions named mapin() &
mapout().  I have not been able to find any reference to there functions
in the Xenix docs I have available.  I presume they have something to do
with memory mapping.  The board has an 8088 as well as 64 K dual port
ram.  From what I've been able to learn so far the Kernel has a limited
data segment and in order for it to read and write to other memory it
must be mapped into the Kernel memory. The serial board and it's 64K
ram sits at the top of memory.  I think my problem is to somehow allow the
kernel to read and write this ram.  I've tried numerous source to obtain
more information to help me to definw what it is I actually have to do.
If anyone out there has any insites I would sure appreciate hearing from
you.

          dan reynolds     Illinois Institute of Technogy
		           Illinois Department of Transportation
		           Gandolf & Co.

	!ihnp4!chinet!reynolds