rsh and rcp hang when invoked as root

David Trueman trueman at mprvaxa.UUCP
Wed Nov 20 06:25:12 AEST 1985

We are running 4.2BSD on a couple of 780s.  Rsh and rcp work
just fine when invoked as any user other than root.  Rsh, for example,
when invoked by root, will just sit doing nothing, until a CNTL-D or
interrupt.  If invoked as:

	rsh host ls >/tmp/lsout </dev/null

it will not hang, but it won't put anything into /tmp/lsout .

I can rsh to an Ultrix system successfully, but not from the Ultrix
system to the 4.2 system.  I know that other 4.2 systems behave properly.
Has anyone else had this problem?  Can anyone suggest a fix, or where
to look for more information?

Thanks.
--
	David Trueman