help with DMR link, please

Matt Crawford matt at oddjob.UUCP
Fri Nov 8 05:49:04 AEST 1985

In article <183 at pwa-b.UUCP> miorelli at pwa-b.UUCP (Bob Miorelli) writes:
>I need help setting up a Unix network using a pair of DMR's.

I am answering this not because I know how to do it, but because
next month I will have to know how.  I looked at thevaxif/if_dmc.c
code and it looks like it's no good.  dmcinit() installs a route
(via rtinit()) which has destination == gateway == address of
the dmc interface.  The only other point-to-point interface I
have to compare this with is Rick Adams' if_sl.c, which I have
been using for well over a year.  The initialization sequence
for that does not use /etc/ifconfig, but another program which
does first a SIOCSIFDSTADDR, then a SIOCSIFADDR, causing a route
to be installed with destination == other host, gateway == this
host.

>    Now what?? I'm not sure what goes in the /etc/hosts
>file (including how to specify the lopback).  I did add a line
>to my rc.local of the form "/etc/ifconfig dmc0 `hostname`".

I think that if it can be made to work at all, it will be by
doing
		/bin/hostname this-host-name
		/etc/ifconfig dmc0 other-host-name

Yuck.  Ifconfig ought to take another argument for point-to-point
interfaces. The host table should look like:

	127.1		localhost loghost	# sendmail wants loghost
	125.1		this-host-name		# or whatever number
	125.2		other-host-name		# or whatever number

Make sure that the output of "netstat -i" shows the dmc0 before
the lo0.  Feedback is solicited.
Matt		University	crawford at anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt