DECnet-Ultrix locks up on Microvax II Ultrix 1.1

Kurt H. Haserodt kurt at wucs.UUCP
Tue Nov 12 06:37:41 AEST 1985

DECnet-Ultrix works great, but after the machine has run for a while,
and we've used it, things lock up.  None of the decnet facilities work
for making outgoing connections (dlogin, mail11, etc.) while in this state,
however they work for incoming connections (i.e. I can set host to the
microvax).  All the tcp/ip facilities work (rlogin, telnet, ftp, etc.)
in both directions.

I have noticed the following correlation--decnet locks up when all
the network mapped pages are used, and not before.  Here is a
netstat -m when things are NOT working:

	106/224 mbufs in use:
		41 mbufs allocated to data
		3 mbufs allocated to packet headers
		25 mbufs allocated to socket structures
		30 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
		3 mbufs allocated to routing table entries
		2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
		2 mbufs allocated to zombie process information
	32/32 mapped pages in use
	60 Kbytes allocated to network (22% in use)
	0 requests for memory denied

We are running this on a Microvax II with Ultrix 1.1 and DECnet-Ultrix
version 1.0.  We have 5MB of memory and are using a DEQNA.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
--

Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160