Ultrix Network Services

Barry Shein bzs%buit4%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Fri Nov 8 07:09:00 AEST 1985

Don't worry about it, most of the entries are informative so you
don't accidently use one of those service ports for your own applications
and (for example) find someone else's machine bothering you and getting
confused, also if you eventually install the service you will need
that port free and the entry in place. Consider it a harmless convenience.
For example, we run our own finger software here (and time) at the
specified port numbers, so they do exist at some sites. Some will
probably never exist, but one has to really understand the issues
to re-use them.

Think of them like reserved vectors in a unibus address space for
devices you don't own.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University