AT&T 7300 Dialer

Dave Mensing.wbst at XEROX.ARPA
Fri Nov 1 06:20:52 AEST 1985

I have been trying (with limited success) to write a couple of routines
using
the internal modem on the AT&T 7300 (UNIX PC). I have only one phone
line in my
office which makes for an added difficulty factor. A brief description
of each
routine follows:

#1) This routine is simply a dialer routine which uses dial(3c) to do
the job.
I have been able to get this to work, but only if the phone line has
already
been set to DATA. If the phone line is set for VOICE when this routine
is run,
dial(3c) returns an error code of -8 (requested device not available).

#2) This routine should toggle the phone line from VOICE to DATA and
vice-versa.
I want this routine to run from cron at 'off hours' to control my phone
line for
UUCP, UUX, etc.

I have tried using the 'special' ioctl(2) options as shown in
/usr/include/sys/phone.h but can't seem to get the needed results.
Any help or insight would be appreciated.

< Dave >

UUCP:  ihnp4!seismo!xerox.arpa!mensing.wbst
ARPA:  mensing.wbst at xerox.arpa
CSNET: mensing.wbst at xerox.arpa
PHONE: (716) 422-6057