Scheduler blues

paul paul at vcvax1.UUCP
Sat Nov 16 03:52:26 AEST 1985

> We have a very-heavily-loaded Vax here, and I am trying to figure out ways
> of making it more usable, short of buying another one.  One idea is to
> rewrite the scheduler, so that time is allocated on a per-uid, instead of a
> per-process basis.  Has anybody done this to the kernel?

See "The Fair Share Scheduler" by G.J. Henry in the last
"UNIX System" issue of the the Bell Labs Technical Journal
(vol 63. No.8 Part 2, October 1984).  I suspect, however,
that the scheduler described there is only available within Bell Labs.

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.
{harvard,mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!venix