Bourne shell modifications, past and future

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Fri Nov 29 06:22:49 AEST 1985

> What shell and which machine allows this? I'm running SV.2 on an AT&T
> UNIX PC with the Bourne shell, and it won't work for me.

The standard S5R2 Bourne shell allows this.  I sincerely hope that
Convergent or AT&T isn't putting out an S5R1 shell on a system which claims
to be S5R2; check up with your vendor on this.  Try saying

	type cat

to your shell.  If it says "cat is /bin/cat" or somesuch, it's the S5R2 shell
and should support shell functions.  The example given does work on the S5R2
shell.  If it complains that "type" isn't found, or something like that,
it's not the S5R2 shell.  In either case, if your system claims to be S5R2,
bitch; either you've got a broken shell or the wrong shell.

	Guy Harris