Is this correct action for the c compiler/preprocessor ??

Ron Natalie ron at BRL.ARPA
Mon Nov 4 08:15:22 AEST 1985

>I couldn't let such a glaring misstatement pass.  Page 207, sec. 12.1:
>
>	``Text inside a string or a character constant is not
>	  subject to replacement.''

Well, this is out of context a bit.  It is ambiguous from reading
this statement whether it is talking about character constants in
the text of the program, or if this statement should be extrapolated
to me within the macro definition itself.

Notably, the UNIX preprocessors out of Bell all did the substitution.
The C Puzzle Book makes use of it, however the compiler we were evaluating
by feeding the C puzzles did not substitute.

-Ron