Scheduler blues

David Parter david at rsch.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 15 18:39:05 AEST 1985

> We have a very-heavily-loaded Vax here, and I am trying to figure out ways
> of making it more usable, short of buying another one.  One idea is to
> rewrite the scheduler, so that time is allocated on a per-uid, instead of a
> per-process basis.  Has anybody done this to the kernel?

see		The Fair Share Scheduler
		G. J. Henry

in 		Bell Labs Technical Journal
		vol 63, october 1984, number 8, part2.

when the BLTJ came out, there was much discussion of the price (originally
outragously high, then lowered), and how to order a single copy from ATT,
but i do not remember now.

david
--
david parter
UWisc Systems Lab

uucp:	...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo, topaz}!uwvax!david
arpa:	david at rsch.wisc.edu