reassigning a control terminal

mms at bocklin.UUCP mms at bocklin.UUCP
Tue Oct 8 10:54:02 AEST 1985

Is there any way to reassign the control terminal associated with a
process that has been forked from a process to which a control ter-
minal is associated?  That is, can I get a forked process to change
the device associated with /dev/tty?  We are running 4.2bsd.

I could be overlooking something very simple, but then again, I've
not been successful.  If it is possible, could someone outline the
necessary proceedure?  (Mail it to me directly if I'm being overly
ignorant).

My underlying motivation is to turn off logins in /etc/ttys for some
device, and have another process that emulates init do "execl getty"
on that device.  However, getty seems to operate on the control ter-
minal it is associated with.

--
Mark M. Swenson                          Department of Computer Science
mms%arizona at csnet-relay                       The University of Arizona