TAR(1) fs copy

Seth H Zirin seth at megad.UUCP
Wed Oct 2 23:48:04 AEST 1985

I regularly use the following command line to copy entire filesystems of
20 Meg and more (minus the /dev directory of course) from one disk to another
and it works just fine:

	tar cf - SOME-LIST-OF-STUFF | (cd NEWDIR ; tar xvf - )

If I try to run it in the background (at least on a Uniplus+ SV machine)
with the command line below, it hangs infinitely (until I KILL(1) it a few
minutes later).

	(tar cf - SOME-LIST-OF-STUFF | (cd NEWDIR ; tar xvf - )) &

Now I've added my two cents (or two command lines) to the discussion.