Help needed with Capricorn 330/SC-21B (on 11/34, V7)

jack at boring.UUCP jack at boring.UUCP
Wed Oct 30 00:24:58 AEST 1985

I'm having a problem with our Ampex Capricorn 330Mb disk that
completely baffles me (and our DEC technician, too).

Our configuration is : 11/34 with EMMU, 1Mb mem, Emulex SC21B controller,
Ampex C330 disk. We're running a hybrid V7/V7M/EUUG unix.

Once every few days, we get thousands and thousands of Drive Timing
Errors, which virtually hang the machine. As soon as we stop
and reboot, things are fine again for a while. The errors occur
on all cylinders,tracks and sectors, so I suspect that it is
in the electronics, not on the platters.

If anyone has any idea what this could be, please send me a
message.

Thanks in advance,
--
	Jack Jansen, jack at mcvax.UUCP