dump(8) verification on Zilog

cnrdean at ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU cnrdean at ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Oct 31 03:14:28 AEST 1985

Tom Slezak.  I think you're right.  As a matter of fact, I
think the Zilog tape dump programs are programs which were never
completed:  If I ask restor to recover a file that is on the  2nd
track, restor first determines what the inode is.  Then it starts
down the first track to see if that inode is on it.  If it is
not, it starts down the second track ...  If the inode happens to
be on the last track, it can take a LONG time to recover a file.
I don't know why it
doesn't check the inode at the beginning of each track first.

If anybody from Zilog reads this, I would appreciate a comment.
I have been too lazy to call you.

Sam Scalise