SUN NFS for 4.2BSD on 11/780

Pete Delaney pete at ecrcvax.UUCP
Thu Oct 17 17:27:07 AEST 1985

I installed NFS on our VAX 785; it was really quite easy.  The biggest problem
is making sure you put the sun includes in /usr/include before letting
the kernel makefile make genasym.s; I actually had the greatest problems with
the chaos problem (see article in Re: NFS and chaosnet).  Sun's installiation
quide was quite good.  Sun's panic claa traceback is a nice addition.

Once the system boots you can go multi-user but umount wont work.  The
/etc/fstab format has been changed along with the umount system call.
The mount daemon assumes the internet server is running; so you want to
get a copy of 4.3BSD or 4.2.5 (Turbo).

The list of files in the makefile is getting very long.  My current kernel
has internet, chaosnet, and ISO networks along with a bunch of X25 stuff.
I'm currently splitting the makefile defines for CFILES and OFILES.
Someone should fix config to do this; any volinters from sun :-)
I've got my hands full untangling the OSI and internet code.

Anyway, performance seems about the same, possibly a bit slower:
	find	50% faster 	due to improved nami()
	make	10% slower	due to VFS overhead

and the VFS code is really nice.

Pete Delaney - Rocky Mnt. Unix Consultant	Phone: (49) 89 92699-139
European Computer-Industry Research Center 	UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!pete
ArabellaStrasse 17 				UUCP Domain: pete at ecrcvax.UUCP
D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 		X25: (262)-45890040262
CSNET:pete%ecrcvax.UUCP at Germany.CSNET		     Login: <to be provided?>