ps on SUNs has 51K of text!

George Williams gww at aphasia.UUCP
Tue Oct 8 06:12:57 AEST 1985

> For a hint, look at /bin/ps on Sun release 1.4, before the Yellow Pages
> were employed for uid <-> username translation.  This will also give you some   hints as to why it's slower.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the yellow pages? Does the sun have some
key-indexed version of the password file? If so can login be persuaded to use
it?

One of the most annoying things I find is to sit down at my terminal, type
my username, type my password and see it echoed; either because it takes
getty so long to fork a login or because login takes so long to look me up
in the password file (I think it's the latter since su has the same problem).
This has always struck me as a rather blatent security hole (of course if
I didn't type so fast:-)

			    George Williams
			    decvax!frog!aphasia!gww

I am not bewildered, I assure you I'm not
Bewildered. As a matter of fact a plan
Is almost certainly forming itself in my head
At this very moment.  It may even be adequate.