Request for TCP traffic generator

art at ACC.ARPA art at ACC.ARPA
Fri Oct 18 05:46:07 AEST 1985

Before we reinvent another wheel, I'll try the network...

On BSD 4.2 we have been using FTP (in binary mode) to obtain TCP/IP
performance numbers for traffic through various network configurations.
These figures can be (and have been seen to be) impacted by internal
FTP overhead and especially disk I/O bandwidth.

What I want is one program which opens a TCP connection and sends blocks
of data (data source) and another program which accepts a TCP connection
and discards the data (data sink).  The internet address, block size and
block count should be program arguments.  Both source and sink programs
should calculate and display throughput statistics.  These should be
as simple as possible to minimize CPU loading.

If anyone has anything like this or could be used as a starting point
I would appreciate a copy.
				"Art Berggreen"<Art at ACC.ARPA>

------