unix (eunice?) under vms

fm at MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA fm at MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
Sat Oct 19 06:52:40 AEST 1985

[ ... does anyone have info about eunice ... ? ]

Yes.  We're using Eunice on top of VMS.  It's a poor excuse for
UNIX.  Very buggie  -- very slow.  We've had so many problems with
the cshell in our version that we've completely shut it off.  We
still use the Bourne shell and seem to be able to avoid most of the
problems we were having.

Eunice is better than not having a UNIX environment but just barely.
We've got DECshell on order and expect it to be superior as an
add-on to VMS.  We'll have to be satisfied with the version 7 flavor of
UNIX -- no cshell with DECshell.

Frank Martin
The MITRE Corp.
Houston, TX