STREAMS query

Boyd Roberts boyd at basser.oz
Fri Oct 11 03:50:44 AEST 1985

At least there is some hope for the world.  Steve Glaser has done well.
This discussion about streams and sockets is getting very dull.  Streams
work, and they are streams.  Berzerkely sockets are a completely different
solution.  Sockets are all wrong.  You don't need that mess in your kernel.

    "sockets are available, and do much of what is needed, but lack elegance."

Dead right!  We've got V8.  We've used streams.  Sockets are totally misguided.
But, they do fit in well with the berzekeley total confusion implementation
strategy.  Networking in the kernel is all wrong.  A sufficent level of support,
but no more.  This "wired in" gore is just *NOT* the way to go.

Save us from 4.5BSD.