TAR DOES NOT SWAP BYTES

Mikel Manitius mikel at codas.UUCP
Sat Oct 19 08:32:58 AEST 1985

> I discovered that the maximum blocksize on a 3B5 I used was 8K.  So
> much for reading tar tapes written on a VAX (with default block size).
> This limitation was documented, nice of them, huh?  When I called
> AT&T support and told them that this was highly undesirable, they
> politely informed me that they didn't care.
>
> George Jenkins, COSI Texas, Inc., 4412 Spicewood Springs #801, Austin TX

Well, I *do* care, since I'm stuck with 8 tapes of unix source that
I had written on a Vax 11/750 with a TU80 Tape drive, and I can't read
the damn things on our 3B5 (actually, I can, but I have to do a lot
of kludging, link playing with dd).

"Someone, somewhere, must care, because they are in the same pile of sh*t."
--
	Mikel Manitius  - ...{ihnp4|akguc|attmail|indra!koura}!codas!mikel