Streams and multiplexing

Steve Langdon sjl at amdahl.UUCP
Thu Oct 10 10:14:47 AEST 1985

In article <2060 at dutoit.UUCP> Dennis Ritchie replied to my article
<2084 at amdahl.UUCP> by politely explaining that V8 streams can and do
support TCP/IP in the kernel.  His article did a much better job than I
did of making my main point - streams are capable of supporting
connectionless (i.e. datagram) communication as well as connection
oriented communication.

My statements about multiplexing were based on the third from last
paragraph in Dennis's BLTJ paper describing streams (page 1909).
Copyright prevents me from quoting this paragraph, but it gives the clear
impression that multiplexing via pseudo-devices was not present when the
paper was written.  The description Dennis gave of how multiplexing is
done in the V8 kernel is a useful addition to the publicly available
material describing streams.
--
Stephen J. Langdon                  ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!sjl

[ The article above is not an official statement from any organization
  in the known universe. ]