tar fs copy

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Tue Oct 22 17:15:37 AEST 1985

> The 'F' option is neat.... if you double it, 'FF', then tar will
> not put any files whose names end in ".o" onto the tape.

This is more correct than my explanation. "F" leaves out SCCS directories
and "core" and "errs" files; "FF" also leaves ".o" and "a.out" files (files
named "a.out", not arbitrary executable images).

One of "cpio"s two redeeming features (the other is that it understands file
which aren't plain files or symlinks) is that it reads a list of files to
write from its standard input, so you can construct arbitrary filters which
will specify which files do and don't go.  (It still doesn't make up for
"cpio"s deficiencies - somebody proposed, and may have implemented, an
option to "tar" to have it read its list of files to write from its standard
input.)

	Guy Harris