ULTRIX 1.1 TCP/IP

Steve Dyer sdyer at bbncc5.UUCP
Mon Oct 7 03:21:06 AEST 1985

> There have been these rumors that TCP/IP is "broken"
> under ULTRIX 1.1.  We are about to bring up a 785
> possibly running ULTRIX and would like to understand
> just what this means.  I.e., is it fixed/fixable (we'll
> have source)?

Yes, it was "broken" in the process of installing DECnet under Ultrix 1.1.
Only DEC's DEUNA board continued to work.  The ACC LH/DH-11 driver (and
presumably other network drivers like the Interlan driver) no longer could
communicate with the net (although the boot-time probe continued to find
the device.)  If you simply use DEC's DEUNA, then 1.1 should work just fine.
Hosts needing other devices, such as those directly connected to the
ARPAnet via an LH/DH-11, should hold off.

We fixed this and returned the sources to DEC Ultrix development in
Merrimack.  Frankly, I don't know what DEC's plans are regarding this
problem: their means of fixing bugs seems to be the software release, a
process which is inherently slow to address critical problems.  I will
check with them and see whether it is kosher to post a set of diffs to the
net.
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer