Sun-3 benchmarks

J Q Johnson jqj at cornell.UUCP
Tue Oct 15 21:48:49 AEST 1985

Does anyone have a set of benchmarks for the new Sun-3 yet?  I'm aware of
the Spanier paper which claims roughly twice a uVAX II in raw cpu, but
that paper has enough problems (ambiguities, inconsistencies, and suboptimal
choices of non-SMI configurations) that I am quite suspicious of its results.

What I'm looking for is a set of benchmarks, including raw data and programs,
that purport to measure system throughput in a typical multiuser Unix
setting.  I would be particularly interested in seeing the Sun-3 with
SMD/Eagle disk and 4 or 8MB memory compared to a uVAX II with Emulex (or
SI)/Eagle disk and 5 or 9MB memory.  I am less interested in raw cpu
benchmarks, but I would be interested in benchmarks of particular components
of general system throughput.

As is customary, if people reply to me directly I'll summarize any
interesting responses.