tset vt100 screws up Suns

gerolima at wdl1.UUCP gerolima at wdl1.UUCP
Sat Oct 26 14:28:25 AEST 1985

Re: Subject: tset vt100 destroys scrolling on SUN-2/120
>We have discovered that accidentally doing a "tset vt100" from
>our SUN consoles screws up their scrolling (and vi, and more, and....)
>The problem is due to the initialization string sent to the
>console (ESC[1;24r).  We have not been able to reinitialize the console
>to its virgin state without rebooting (ugh!).  Is there a nice
>solution, and if so, is it documented anywhere?

You must remember that the Sun console is NOT a vt100. Most notably,
it is of different dimensions (34x80 vs 24x80). The "\E[1;24t" is setting
the height (I guess) to 24 lines. It is obvious that this is going to
screw up vi (yay!), emacs (boo!...but let's leave that to net.flame),
ROUGUE, HACK...(excuse, excuse! getting away from myself).

		Quick solution? Tset back to "sun."
		(and then do a "reset" to be safe)

I'm sure that it's in your /etc/termcap (under ND), or the yp termcap
(under NFS).

There may be documentation for this, but I see no need for it. After all,
isn't UNIX s'pposed to be kriptyc, anyway?

		Mark Gerolimatos
		(Henry made a wizard out of Markie!)^

		Arpa: gerolima at ford-wdl1
		UUCP: fortune!wdl1!gerolima

^ For those to whom this line was lost on: "Henry made a lady out of
  Lizzy" was the slogan for the Model-A Ford.