6250 bpi tape drives

Richard Johnson raj at UCI-ICSA.ARPA
Thu Oct 17 02:24:53 AEST 1985

We are looking into buying two 6250 bpi tape drives for two of
our VAX 750s running 4.2BSD.  We have learned from experience
that a 750 can't really keep a 1600 bpi drive streaming.  Thus
I am soliciting opinions about the compatibility of different
models of 6250 bpi drives with a 750.  We have Chris Torek's "Mass
driver", but haven't installed it.  If this is really needed to
make any 6250 bpi drive work at greatest efficiency, then we will
put it in.

Thanks in advance for all replies.