4.2 BSD to ULTRIX Conversion

Wayne Little rwl at umree.UUCP
Tue Oct 15 06:42:50 AEST 1985

We are considering converting our VAX 11/780 from BSD 4.2 to ULTRIX with the
present promotion from DEC for $750 for a source license to universities.

I would appreciate information from anyone who has taken the plunge.

Prelim. info: number of users, time installed, applications, etc.

Possible Topics (others welcome)
--------------------------------
Areas of Incompatibility
	Application Programs
		What, Why, and How much work to convert
	Backups - tar, dump, etc...
	Drivers
	File System (I've heard they are file level compatible)
	System Calls
Benefits (Real & Perceived)
	e.g. Any System V code running with minimal or no hacking?
General Flames
	please attempt to localize emotions and frustrations to this category
Problems
Rumors
	inclusion of 4.3?
Support from DEC

Clarification (from a non-sales, i.e. hands on perspective) of the following DEC
claims for ULTRIX-32 "a complete set of 4.2 BSD commands, system calls, and
library functions,  while including numerous system and library calls which are
common with AT&T's System V Release 2 version of UNIX.  Named pipes, shared
memory, and semaphores, are examples fo the new functionality being added.
ULTRIX-32 is source code level compatible with 4.2 BSD and with System V
Release 2 [technical translation?] where no architectural differences are
present. ..."

Please respond to me directly, and given sufficent response, I will summarize
and post on the net.  [ I don't want to start a network "mail-wars" ]
Quotable comments will be duly recognized.

Thanks!