bsd4.2 on 11/785

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Sun Oct 13 12:54:12 AEST 1985

In article <1513 at srcsip.UUCP> linde at srcsip.UUCP (Larry Linde) writes:
>Is anyone running Bsd 4.2 on a vax 11/785? If so do you have any
>problems with it just hanging (both single and multi user mode).

We are running 4.2 on our 785 (the enhanced BRL release 3 version). The
only two problems I have with it are an occasional silly message out of
syslogd (I've mentioned this recently on the net already) and having the
network stop on occasion. What I THINK is happening, and haven't had time
to track down, is that the kernel DELAY() routine is implemented by a
register countdown loop. With the 785 significantly faster than a 780, a
DELAY() loop that is cut too finely may simply not be long enough in all
cases, and I think my ethernet board drops an interrupt on the floor. If
your machine is simply going away (total responsiveness except to console
^P commands) you might try finding the macro definition and doubling the
delay loop. I haven't had time to do that, but it couldn't hurt (could it?)
That seems to be the only place that the processor change could be visible
to the operating system (there really ought to be a way to build a decent
delay routine without making processor speed assumptions... sigh.)

chuq
--
:From the caverns of the Crystal Cave:  Chuq Von Rospach
Currently: nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA       {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid}!nsc!chuqui

Our time is past -- it is a time for men, not magic. Come, let us leave
this world to the usurpers and rest our weary bones....