In sh, is '[' a portable synonym for 'test'?

Ken Latham latham at bsdpkh.UUCP
Thu Oct 24 04:52:52 AEST 1985

In reference to what I assume was the original question....

	In sh, is ' [ ... ] ' a portable synonym for 'test ... '

The answer ( according to Bell Laboratories ) is NO!

See Unix system V Programmer's manual ( under 'test' )
( it states that SOME unix systems accept this notation )

However, both system V and system V.2 accept it! ( I double checked! )

	I personally do not use it as it tends to mislead some people
into believing that it is an internal function of the shell.

					Yours, ( well may not *yours* )

						Ken Latham

		( signature is in the primordial stages )