Help sought on problem with uucp acucntrl

Wayne Little rwl at umree.UUCP
Sat Oct 19 09:00:23 AEST 1985

We are running 4.2 BSD, and recently installed the 4.3 version uucp
sporting in/out dialing on the same modem.  This version was recently
distributed by Tom Truscott & Bob Gray via Rick Adams March 4, 1985,
according to the README.

We are experiencing a side effect with the acucntrl part of uucp 4.3.
The dial out part "turns off" the getty and works fine, but the getty does
not get restarted on the line & I can't get it to come back (kill -HUP 1
doesn't work, and the line in /etc/ttys is enabled).  The only thing that
has reenabled the getty is a reboot (following a crash - we're not that
desparate for lines).

I can disable and reenable other lines manually (edit /etc/ttys & kill -HUP 1).
I also tried another line besides tty07 to make sure it wasnt the line.
I also tried physically disconnecting the line to ensure a drop of DTR.
We are using a hayes modem; line from L-devices is:
ACU tty07 inout 1200 hayesq

The dialogue from uucico says that the line is being enabled, but no cigar and
no getty thereafter (until a reboot).

Any words of advice or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
(I have another dialing scheme lined up to try if no fix is pending.)

Thanks in advance!