Pagination in TTY driver

Andrew Macpherson andrew at stc.UUCP
Thu Sep 5 05:07:51 AEST 1985

>> From *both* viewpoints, it is simpler to have pagination available in the
>> tty driver.  ...... Try it, you'll like it.
>> --
>> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>
>What are the drawbacks?  Do "portable" UNIX programs have to be modified
>to disable pagination for editing, communications, etc?
>--
>				Bob Mabee @ Charles River Data Systems

We have such a tty driver on an 11/34 running Xenix 2.?.  In 'normal' use
with keyboard input, one does not see the paginator, only when a program
is producing reams of output.  It was a pain in the neck to find a process
blocking on tty output when one didn't want the paginator, and supreme
relief when one realised that one had forgotten >more|less<.

The problem is, that version of Xenix does not have Berkley job control.
The times I've wanted to..
^Z
Stopped.
% stty length={0|24}
% fg
to turn off or on the pager for a command started with the terminal in the
wrong mode.

Conclusion, on balance quite nice, ( yes, I damn it with faint praise ).  I
might consider it excellent if I had had job control with it, and the above
sequence worked.
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew at stc.UUCP>